The Sonar Something for Everybody
The 23' Sonar one-design keelboat is a high-performance racer and also a comfortable daysailor just right for getting the entire family or friends on the water together. It was designed by Bruce Kirby and almost 700 boats have been built since 1980. The Sonar has recently achieved status as an International Class.
Download the Sonar Rigging Manual (PDF)
Rondar Raceboats will be the Sonar builder! See the
announcement from Skip Shumway.
Click on any image to view a larger version.
- Race competitively with three or four crew.
- The Sonar surfs and planes readily downwind.
- Well-balanced, inboard rudder.
- Faster than a J/24 in windy conditions.
- Strict one-design rules.
- Clean and uncluttered cockpit.
- Small jib can be handled by nearly any size crew member.
- Single jib, main, and spinnaker.
- 7'10" beam for easy trailering.
- 11'6" cockpit seats 8 comfortably.
- Full-length molded bench seats with angled backs.
- Self-bailing cockpit.
- Lockable cuddy under the foredeck holds gear, or an outboard motor, even a small Porta Potti.
- 900 lb. keel keeps the boat stable and dry.
View the complete specifications.